Are there any real dieting secrets left? If you’re reading this, then you probably want to know what they are. I’d like to know too, without having to go on some screwy fad diet – only to find out that it doesn’t work. I’m not exactly on a diet now, and I have gained some weight. Some people seem to think that I eat like a horse and don’t gain much compared to the quanity of food I intake. I read a little bit recently about how celebrities lost weight, from a guy that supplies food to the top listed stars in California every day.
Surprisingly enough – many of these tips are things I’ve done for years. What I probably need to do (according to the tips below) is get regular meal times, and make sure that the food I eat is a healthier balance! I just knew there was a reason I like to eat something before I sent to bed – now I know why!
- Eat small meals: did you know you can speed up your metabolism by eating 5-6 small meals per day? This way it shrinks up your stomach (because you’re eating less at once), and it speeds up your metabolism (because it has something to digest all the time). I think sometimes people forget that when you diet and eat less, it actually slows your metabolism down – and it takes longer to lose the weight.
- Use spices often: you know that the better food tastes, the more likely you are to want to eat it. If you’re dieting, don’t eat all bland food, use some spices to liven it up – like cilantro, chili power, cumin, asian 5 spice, italian seasonings, marinate your meat in fat free italian dressing, etc
- Lots of Water: You should be ranking the equivalent of about 8-9 regular bottles of water per day. If you don’t drink bottled water, drink it from the tap, if you don’t like that then drink (unsweetened) green or black tea
- Balanced meals: Make sure your 5-6 meals per day have protein, carbs, and fats (the good ones). You want the good fats in things like olive oil, avocados, almonds, etc. Keep your metabolism going and your insulin and blood sugar regulated.
- Regular eating times: don’t get out of control and eat whenever you want to. Be sure to eat at the SAME 5-6 mealtimes per day EVERY DAY. Drink water with the mean, and when you eat at the same times per day every day (including just before bed) you keep your body full, and your metabolism going 24 hrs a day!
It’s funny that these “secrets” are really just common sense. I remember when my Grandma told me “all things in moderation”, and that’s a pretty good rule. Most of these tips I’ve used for years, my wife has said I’m “constantly eating”, and I use spices in all the meals I make. I do drink a lot of water, but I must admin I have to add more of the “good fats”. I cook in olive oil most of the time, but I should probably eat more avocados, and things with the good fatty acids. If you try these tips, you might just find you can lose more on your own – then with the latest celebrity or fad diet!